Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Playing Dress Up


It should have been no surprise that the Gus Presents "Gladiator Orgy" at the former Sound Factory on 1st and Harrison, was not all that. Sure, a bit of fun, but not the pulchritudinous display I'd expected.

My friends, tired from the Gay Games gala last Saturday, didn't even want to go. I should have listened to them. But I was determined to get out on Saturday. I'd spent about five hours making a Satyr costume. That's not counting a few hours making or buying and adjusting theirs!

The parking was hell. The music was loud abrasive and not good. At least there was a table of fruit, with nearly naked models standing and, well, modeling.


Oh, and a certain promoting drag queen put only me on the guest list, so in addition to having to buy a ticket in advance for one friend, the other had to pay full price. And since we didn't walk the three blocks from the car in just our costumes, another 12 bucks for clothes check.
I remembered why it had been so long since I'd been to this club; it sucks!

----------
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Even worse was the Sunday "costume party" at The Mix. Yes, it was packed. No, no costumes. Okay, five, me and Stephen included. At least we got to hang out with Michael.

Then, after a stop by the Eagle (I chickened out and took off my costume), Stephen ruled in leather and tulle tutu.

The Sunday night Mask SF party was much better.

Sure, a smaller crowd, but we found parking across the street, our comps were ready at the ticket booth, and the crowd was a handsome ensemble of muscled, friendly guys in some of the best costumes I've seen in years.

Imagine if all the cutest guys at your gym moonlit as superheroes.

Nice music, a big dance floor, and great costumes. And we got home by 10pm.

Tonight, it's off to nearby Marlena's bar on Hayes St. for a Disney-themed drag show and party; well away from the scourge of the Castro lockdown.

UPDATE, Nov. 1: My "That '70s Satyr" costume won first prize! I got $100 cash! That paid for my costume, plus incidentals. Pics soon, hopefully (forgot to recharge my camera battery, so an acquaintance took some, and will hopefully send 'em.)

No comments: