Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Papers, please.


So, last Pride I bumped into Tommi Avicolli Mecca, activist and writer of note, and he mentioned an anthology. so I popped off what I thought a rather appropros piece I'd written years ago.

The thing about submitting to anthologies is, they're like dropping a baby off at a church. You don't hear back for a long time, and by then, it doesn't even seem like it's yours. I forget I even submitted to them.

But this one's been popped out pretty quickly; only a few months. And it's pretty good; Avanti Popolo: Italian-American Writers Sail Beyond Columbus, a poetry and short essay anthology put out by Manic D Press. It's edited by James Tracy.

I'll be reading a short short story, "Papers," about an imagined exodus due to political extremes. I wrote it at the time of the impending Bush regime, but it still holds some relevance, should the dark forces of vitriol from the GOP do any damage this season.

Anyway, it should be a fun event with half a dozen writers and a good crowd. Enjoy North Beach.

Monday, October 13, 2008, 7 pm
City Lights Bookstore
261 Columbus, San Francisco, CA
Phone: (415) 362-8193

No comments: