Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Who are These People?
As Obama and Hillary waffle from time to time over the veracity of LGBT rights of marriage, etc., and Hillary omits her appearances at HRC dinners from her published schedule, John Edwards has decided to court "the gays."
It's very nice that his web site officially announces the fact that he has - or, more probably, his people have - met with a group of 35 allegedly important political movers and shakers in our "community."
The majority of these people are Human Rights Campaign board members or employees. HRC has been criticized a lot lately for its excess spending, huge salaries and general A-list mentality by Michael Petrelis and others.
HRC's response was akin to, "If you're not for u$, you're again$t u$."
In 2005, gay activists protested at an HRC dinner, as they took scads of cash from a big drug conglom.
So, let's see who our apparent student council is in the high school of gay America. My comments in italics.
* Skip Paul, Corporate Executive
Golf-playing Stanford executive in the entertainment, video game industry; currently runs IFilm. Let's do lunch with Muffy!
* Darren Star, TV Producer
Okay, we loved Sex and the City and Grosse Pointe. But what does making a comedic series about shoe-addicted columnists have to do with politics? more proof that Edwards may be more concerned with style over substance.
* Julie Johnson, Human Rights Campaign Public Policy Committee Co-Chair
Texas fundraiser; dig her quotes in this article about a Bill Clinton fundraiser held in Texas.
* Eric Stern, Former National Stonewall Democrats Executive Director; Former Democratic National Committee LGBT Outreach Director
Busy fellow, quite accomplished.
* David Mixner, Former Bill Clinton for President Adviser; LGBT activist, fundraiser, author
David seems to show up anywhere there's a political schmooze session; still smarting from being Bill Clinton's adviser all through the monstrous 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell?' Yep, he's endorsing Edwards.
* Dennis Erdman, TV Producer/ Director
Another TV show producer. That's nice. We can be sure Edwards will have nice commercials. (rolls eyes)
* Mary Snider, Human Rights Campaign Board of Directors Executive Committee Member
Ms. Snider has hosted a lot of dinners for HRC. How nice. Here, in a letter to the Washington Blade, she justifies HRC's giving Lance Bass an award for having the courage (really, I'm holding back tears of inspiration) to come out. What a hero he is.
* David Tseng, Kerry-Edwards 2004 National LGBT Advisory Committee Co-Chair; Former Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) National Executive Director
Not even gonna snipe at PFLAG. We love our gay-friendly parents!!
* David Mariner, Former Out for Howard Dean Co-Chair; Founder, www.outfordemocracy.org
Cool points for being on-target, having a findable source of his opinions and writing.
* James Duff, TV Producer
Okay, so is Edwards going to have his own series? An election reality show?
* Ramon Gardenhire, National Stonewall Democrats Black Caucus Co-Chair; Former DNC LGBT Deputy Outreach Director
Not much of an online presence, but has some credentials. See Ramon's 2004 article on HIV issues in the last election
* Scott Benson, Majority Leader Minneapolis City Council
He's running for office himself. So, is that a conflict? Eight-ball says, 'Ask again later.'
* Shane Larson, AFL-CIO Pride @ Work National Executive Board Member; Association of Flight Attendants (AFA)-Communications Workers of America (CWA) Government Affairs Director
Mr. Larsen seems to focus on the partner benefits of flight attendants. Mm-kay, that's a target market.
* Scott Wiener, Human Rights Campaign Board of Directors Member; San Francisco Democratic Party Chair* (for identification purposes only)
I actually met Scott, and he plays the party line well. Not sure what he can do if Edwards doesn't get the endorsement of the Dem. Party groupthink.
* Jeff Gardner, Garden State Equality Vice Chair; New Jersey for Democracy Co-Chair
I have a New Jersey bias, what with their having accomplished LGBT civil union rights; plus I lived there for a few years.
* Lynne Wiggins, Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) National Leadership Council Member; Former Human Rights Campaign Board of Governors Member
While I love GLSEN and all it does, one thing that should prove an activist or "important community member's" power, affluence, or at least visibility, is to do a Google search with their name and the word 'gay.' Results: Ms. Wiggins isn't so visible.
* Ken Keechl, Broward County Commissioner; Former Dolphin Democrats President
Another politician, Keechl is in Broward County, Florida, the state that brought us the 2000 presidential election fraud.
* Linda Elliott, Human Rights Committee Board of Directors Member
Another name/gay Google search reveals very little, other than her HRC association.
* Dave Garrity, Former Democratic National Committee Member
14 Google/gay page results, most of them repostings of the Edwards press release. Who is Dave, where did he come from, and why is he considered "powerful" or representing millions of LGBT Americans?
* Mark Perriello, Former Human Rights Campaign staff member; Democratic strategist
Also a PFLAG emeritus, and an ex-ex-gay. Not much else to find.
* Ron Ginsburg, LGBT Community Activist; business owner
Sorry, I don't see anything for Ron other than the Edwards PR. And you are...? And I should know you from...?
* Randall Kelly, LGBT Community Activist; attorney
* Robert D. Horvath, Mautner Project Board of Directors Member
* Stephanie Kornegay, LGBT Community Activist; business owner
Okay, she plays golf. a lot. That'll take care of the Dinah Shore Classic fans (i.e. rich white lesbians).
* Patrick J. Lyden, LGBT Community Activist; Homeland Security Advisor
Are these two creds an oxymoron? This guy doesn't even exist on the internet. Will he ensure airport security for John's campaign? Who can say.
So, only 5 of these people are women. Without looking up headshots of these alleged "community representatives," I see few non-Caucasian names.
So, basically, Edwards schmoozed with a bunch of A-list rich white guys to consult about how to make him look good on TV.